Having a water heater breakdown is an annoying and inconvenient experience, to say the least. While it isn’t possible to completely avoid water heater repair, there are some steps you can take to reduce the amount of repair your unit may need. Here are some suggestions from The Sunny Plumber technicians for Mesa, AZ residents:
- Drain some water bi-annually – it is natural for sediment to build-up on the bottom of your water heater, but if too much sediment builds-up, it can hamper the operation of your water heater. By draining some of the water from your water heater twice-annually, you’ll be able to remove a good amount of sediment from the bottom of the tank.
- Check the pressure relief valve – the pressure relief valve is a safety device that relieves excess pressure in case the water heater becomes too hot. Relief valves can leak and/or corrode, which can cause them to malfunction. Checking the state of the relief valve can help keep you ahead of problems that may develop with it.
- Check the temperature gauge bi-annually – your temperature gauge shouldn’t be set any higher than 120 degrees Fahrenheit; any higher and you could see a rise in your energy bill and have scalding hot water. A hot-running water heater is also more prone to breakdown, so it’s best to keep the temperature moderate.
- Is the unit insulated properly? – heat loss for the outside of a water heater tank can be significant, so it’s important to make sure it is properly insulated. Using an insulating blanket or wrap the unit carefully with other insulating material that is good for water heaters.
- Check the exhaust equipment – water heaters that use natural gas need to be vented; if the venting is not working properly, dangerous toxic byproducts could be leaking into your home’s air.
- Schedule annual maintenance – an annual maintenance appointment for your water heater will cover all these items and more.
Although your water heater will need to be repaired at some point, using these tips can help to greatly reduce the amount of repairs you may be facing. If you’re in need of a professional water heater repair service in Mesa, AZ, look no further than The Sunny Plumber! Give us a call today to schedule an appointment.